Carpet is a major purchase, and it's
in your best interest to become as informed as possible
before making a decision. The components and
characteristics of carpets vary considerably, and some
styles are better suited for certain applications than
To be certian you are making the proper selection, ask yourself some preliminary and
essential questions such as:
1. Is the area I want the carpet installed a high-traffic area?
2. Is there going to be direct sunlight on any part of the area I am carpeting?
3. Are pets going to occupy the same area?
4. Is the room next to a wet area such as a bathroom or pool deck?
5. Is the area properly climate controlled?
Once the answer to these and other important factors are considered, you can then begin to
search for the right carpet. Understanding the five elements of broadloom allows you
to compare carpets efficiently and find one that is right
for your lifestyle and budget.
Weight - Face weight is the the number of ounces
of fiber per square yard. All other things being equal,
the higher the face weight of a carpet the better.
- Higher twist helps resist crushing and matting
- Higher density improves comfort and performance.
- Higher ratings indicate better performance.
© 2008 FloorBiz, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Flooring Guide |
Flooring Info |